1940's Stangl Pottery Coffee Mugs
Stangl Pottery in Flemington, New Jersey originally began in 1814 as Hill Pottery. In the 1860s Hill Pottery was acquired by Abram Fulper and in 1910 his grandson William H. Fulper II changed the company name to Fulper Pottery Co. During that year they hired ceramic engineer Martin Stangl to develop pottery glazes and shapes for their Fulper line.
Stangl left for four years in 1914 to go to Haeger Pottery and create its new pottery line. However, in 1919 he returned and by 1924 he was named vice president of the company. During 1924 he was responsible for the introduction of the first open stock solid color dinnerware in America. During the 1920s another smaller factory was built at the Flemington, New Jersey site and they were also able to acquire a large existing pottery facility in Trenton, New Jersey. In 1929 the original factory was burned in a fire, so the other two factories took on all production. It was also in this year that Martin Stangl purchased the Fulper Pottery Company, changing its name to Stangl Pottery.
We have a set of 4 coffee mugs. 3 of the mugs are "Fruit" pattern and one is "Flower" . These patterns were introduced in the 1940's. This pattern was designed by Kay Hackett.
The mugs are 2.75" high and 3.5" in diameter. They are in excellent condition, and the base is marked as shown.